Education news from Australia and the United Kindgom
- 'Tyrannical rule': Dumped principal at war with top girls' school
Debra Kelliher, who once headed up one of the nation's most prestigious girls' schools, is taking her former employer and two teachers to court over allegedly defamatory emails.
- How mainstream schools are failing students who don't fit in
After being told she couldn't return to her school after having a child, Ariana Roberts turned to a flexible school, the educational institutions filling the gap for marginalised students.
- Bomb hoax called in on first day of HSC causing evacuation
Students sitting for their very first day of HSC exams at an Albury high school are evacuated after it was targeted by a bomb hoax.
- How a billy cart challenge inspired disengaged teen boys
Three teenage boys struggled at school until a program inspired them to design and build a billy cart for a local challenge, teaching them valuable skills.
- The Time Killer
The FLO team students with The Time Killer billy cart they designed, built and raced.
- 'He hid in a cupboard - we just couldn't get him to school'
When Evelyn and Tony adopted Ryan at the age of seven, his special needs were not immediately apparent.
- 'Go to the dentist and get fined £100'
Dentists warn that thousands of vulnerable people are wrongly being fined over dental treatment.
- 'I found a job I love through battling depression'
Catherine says becoming ill at university inspired a career in mental health social work.
- 'I felt so low, I couldn't see a way out'
A record number of children seek help from Childline over suicidal thoughts and feelings.
- Children 'embarrassed by tipsy parents'
Adults do not have to drink a lot for children to notice changes in their behaviour, a study says.
- Should children be heard in court?
Campaigners say youngsters should be allowed to put their views to judges.
- It was change sex or die - transgender girl
Ellen - one of the first primary school children to transition in the UK - lets readers into her inner world.